Possible risks or side effects may include pain, burning, bruises, blister formation, stinging sensations, infection, pigmentary changes including decrease or increase in skin color at the site of treatment, scar formation, laser induced “cold-sore-like” blistering, skin eruptions known as “herpetic” skin eruptions at the site of treatment, and poor cosmetic outcome. You should expect skin redness, swelling, and some bruising for several days after the procedure. Redness and swelling may last up to 3 weeks (especially when higher treatment settings are used), and are part of a normal reaction to the treatment. Burns and resulting pigmentation change and scarring are rare and may happen in skin that is not taken care according to instructions. Skin infections are very rare but can occur. Any adverse reaction should be reported immediately.
Although very, very rare, some patients can experience a reaction to the topical anesthetic applied prior to treatment. Patients may experience redness, itching, and/or blistering, which is short-lived and treated with mild topical cortisones. It does not leave any scarring or have permanent effects.
Patients with defibrillators or pacemakers cannot be treated due to possible interactions between the device and the radio frequency pulses.
For any of the treatments, there may also be possible hair removal at the site of treatment even if this was not the intended purpose of treatment.
Our specific plan for post care is below.
Profound Post Care
– Wash 3-5x daily using the Aquanil cleanser we gave you. Avoid wash clothes, Clarisonic, or any scrubs for at least 5 days.
– Apply a thin coat of Vaseline to the treated area for 5 days – enough times so your skin remains moist and hydrated.
– Continue taking the Acyclovir, 2 a day for 4 days.
– OTC Arnica can be purchased to help lessen bruising and swelling.
– Apply ice packs on the treatment zone for about 15 minutes at a time for the first 24 hours, once an hour. (Watch skin temperature and do not allow the ice to burn your skin.)
– Sleep with your head slightly elevated.
– Avoid excessive sun exposure and apply sunscreen daily.
– You may want to change pillowcases each night for 5 days.
– Do not sleep with your animals or allow them near your face for at least 3 days.
– Your skin will be red, swollen, bruised, and appear treated for 5-7 days. (If you have excessive bruising please call our office and we may be able to treat you with a laser to help reduce this after 48 hours.)
– Light makeup is allowed after 3-5 days. Oxygenetix or Dermablend Flawless Creater can be used after 24 hours as these are specially designed for post care ablative procedures.
– Any signs of excessive redness, heat, or throbbing pain, please contact our office immediately if during business hours or call Dr. Rueckl’s cell phone after hours – 702-683-8406.